Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Acquiring Wealth
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:58 pm 

Hi guys,

I just started up playing the other day after coming from years of Carrion Fields (left due to too much OOC PKing). Anywho, my question is in regards to getting money.

I've finished the training area and am now exploring the wilderness in an attempt to fight NPCs and level and more importantly, get money to pay for equipment and training. However, it seems like haf the enemies drop no money and the others drop small amounts, making it take forever to even get a single platinum. Am I missing an obvious way to get rich quicker, or is it really just a slow process and I need patience in order to be able to afford better equipment? Thanks!

Stan

Post subject: Re: Acquiring Wealth
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:02 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Retired Troll
If you ask around for places to train, you'll be directed to status-appropriate leveling areas. Most of these areas have NPCs that drop a decent amount of coin.

When a higher level character wants to gather coin, they don't do it by spam-killing NPCs, usually. Usually coin is acquired by killing NPCs that have equipment, and selling that equipment to shopkeeps. You don't have to do this, though. Just kill the NPCs in the leveling areas, and you'll do fine.

Welcome to sk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:16 pm 

Thanks Baldric. I'm on the right track then. I've been using the AREA command to get a list of areas near my home city and then searching out NPCs that fit into my XP level (as I understand you should). Too bad right now they drop dirty, broken, crappy equipment, but I am saving coin so I can get some real gear and get exploring!

- Eldras

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:22 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Retired Troll
The area command is good, but there's no substitute for asking a more experienced PC for some guidance. Don't be afraid to ask random people where you should train. Almost everyone will be eager to help out a new player.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:12 pm 
Mortal

I believe up until Jman you can recall and type mentor to send out an IC call to people who are above the mentor rank and live in that country. I would say that is the best way to get IC support. Most high ranking people offer help for one reason or another.

Good luck, and welcome to SK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:56 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Phreya, Kouin, Nosephthyki
Welcome welcome!

Baldric gave some great advice and I cannot echo the sentiment enough to get to know other PC's and ask in game. The veteran players here have a vast amount of knowledge and are for the most part as helpful as they can be while maintaining their character's RP.

Depending on what aura you've gone with I suggest using people's titles to get an idea of who might be able to help you the best. And as was mentioned if you are lower than the rank of journeyman you can use the mentor command to get someone of mentor level within the kingdom you rolled in.

To answer your original question though, pretty much killing NPCs in the leveling areas is the way to go for coin at lower levels. Random wilderness NPCs are not going to be dropping as much if any coin so if you need money stick to the leveling areas. Also, there might be some PC's that have more money than they know what to do with and/or are paladins and have taken a vow of poverty so they would be happy to give away coin.

I'd be happy to try an answer questions for you as they come up if you want to PM me and if I cannot answer I'll try to direct you to someone who can.

Have fun!

~Thyki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:10 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Some weirdos
Also, most of the time you don't need to bother for quite a while.. and if you do there's a good chance the game 'thieves in the night' will take what you eared all that money to buy.

So skip it as long as you can stand to

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:04 am 

Thanks Everyone for the advice!

I did find out the hardway after spending a couple platinum on a sword, that the thieves are likely to take it :( Part of the learning process, I know, but it was frustrating :)

- Eldras

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:19 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
Yeah, one thing that you can run into is that since higher level characters do often sell high-level items for their own profit, it's much more likely to end up buying an expensive item that also can get stolen from you by thieves: The nice thing about SK is that there's no level limit on items, but it comes at the (Good IMO) cost of having a chance of items that are higher level than you to be stolen.

As a general rule of thumb, I wouldn't buy anything that's made out of an extraordinary material (mithril, adamantite, cold iron even sometimes) until you're at least veteran, probably higher: And also be wary if something in a shop just doesn't seem to fit with the "scheme" of the rest of the items, indicating that someone else probably sold it there rather than it starting in that shop itself. Tanso steel, steel and iron equipment is just about always safe to buy unless you're particularly low level.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:20 am 
Implementor

I suppose I should really put some sort of confirmation in the shop dialog for those items. "That item looks like it might be tempting for thieves. Are you sure you want to buy it?"