Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Training and Leveling
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:18 pm 
Mortal

So when I enter an area to train, I typically train until I'm roughly into knowing the area like the back of my hand (yellow) before doing any level advancements. My thinking is that staying a lower level versus the opponents gives more xp because of the wider level gap between my char and the NPC. I'm curious, though, as to what other people think. Is this a smart way of doing things, or am I actually being an idiot? Or does it even really have any affect at all?

Post subject: Re: Training and Leveling
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:56 pm 
Mortal

I stack levels as well. I also refuse to learn most skills until I'm the next status up unless they're extremely beneficial to learn for training, such as second/third/fourth attack.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:56 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Retired Troll
My hunch is that it does not look at your actual level, but at how much experience you've accumulated (level + stacked xp).

I don't know for sure, though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:08 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
I think that if you are too low level for a NPC then you don't get as much xp from it, and if you are inordinately high level for a NPC, you don't get much xp from it either.

However, I don't think that there's much of a difference in xp (if at all) gained per damage dealt if you are 5 levels below a NPC compared to 2 levels below a NPC: Just that it's going to take more experience once you gain a level just on account of the fact that the next level takes more experience, so it might -seem- like you're getting less experience even though you are getting the same amount. I remember clearing out an entire area of "con naked kill" undead as a hammer member and getting a full two ticks of experience: Even though they were much lower level than I was, I still gained notable experience by killing a crapton of them.

For melee classes, leveling up as soon as you are ready to advance isn't that important unless you can learn a new important skill, but for casters it's a good idea to level up often unless you're in a hard to reach place or otherwise just really have a good routine going, because all damage spells give you more damage per mana spent for each level raised.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:23 pm 
Mortal

Some areas are just better for leveling than others. I typically run an area into the ground before moving on.

I wish leveling wasn't completely based on how many NPCs your character murdered over their lifespan. It's virtually impossible to level in any other fashion than mercilessly slaughtering area populations.

The xp yield from successfully using skills, and the xp cap on non-aggressive spells is sort of dumb in my opinion, but Dulrik thinks that unless your life is threatened in some manner you shouldn't be able to learn as fast.

Le sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:28 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
It makes sense for just about everything except -maybe- some casters. It would be a bit odd if you could become a master hunter without... hunting anything, or a master warrior without fighting a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:30 pm 
Mortal

ninja_ardith wrote:
I wish leveling wasn't completely based on how many NPCs your character murdered over their lifespan. It's virtually impossible to level in any other fashion than mercilessly slaughtering area populations.

The xp yield from successfully using skills, and the xp cap on non-aggressive spells is sort of dumb in my opinion, but Dulrik thinks that unless your life is threatened in some manner you shouldn't be able to learn as fast.

Le sigh.

QFT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:48 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Amorette
ninja_ardith wrote:

Le sigh.

ladyjennbo likes this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:49 pm 
Implementor

You don't have to kill those NPCs. You would get just as much experience per NPC, and perhaps even more, if you used mode stun.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:59 pm 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
You don't have to kill those NPCs. You would get just as much experience per NPC, and perhaps even more, if you used mode stun.

Dulrik just defecated all over your theories.