Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Reflex
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:05 pm 
Mortal

Location: Arkansas....mutters/up on a mountain top beating my drum
I've got a newbish question about reflex. The help file only discusses spells that reflex saves against, i.e. ones you can see coming. I've always assumed that reflex had something to do with your dodge(you dodge Person's attack) or not hit(Person missed you) chance. Am I wrong?

Post subject: Re: Reflex
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:48 pm 
Mortal

Reflex saves are only against spells, as far as I know. Missing is due to armor class and level while dodging is based on the dodge skill and dexterity.

Post subject: Re: Reflex
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:50 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
Nope, reflex is purely based on saving against spells that have a reflex save. Most of these spells are damage spells, like acid blast (If you fail the save your EQ/inventory gets damaged), color spray (If you fail your reflex save on color spray you also have to pass a fort save or get blinded), lightning bolt, shocking grasp, burning hands, fireball, magma spray, call lightning, hellfire, spear of faith, flamestrike, and some specific cabal spells that shall not be named. With all damage-based reflex spells, saving means that you take half damage from it (And you get a different message usually coded in yellow or something less severe to let you know that you saved from it as well).

Reflex does not have anything to do with how often you dodge or are missed. That is based on your AC, which is determined by (I think) your level, dexterity and AC of your armor (As in how well it compares using the "compare" command) and is completely independant of the enchantments on your armor. Your dodge and miss percentage, as well as your accuracy with melee attacks and some skill checks, are also adversely affected if you are carrying over half your maximum carrying capacity (And moreso the more you are carrying past that limit).

Some people say that the "magical protection" enchantments on your armor also make you more likely to be "missed", and that may be true while I personally disagree.