Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Priest Help
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:15 pm 

I am new to this game and I want to play a priest based on what my friend has told me about them. I am looking for suggestions on race and where I should put my ability points / when or what I should get training in. Just some general priest tips would help, I plan to walk the gray line but I am unsure of what God I want to follow. I know I want to get into player vs player combat.

I don't want to play a halfling or a gnome, I was thinking just playing a human for my race since they are pretty balanced so I've heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:24 pm 
Mortal

welcome to Shattered Kingdoms.

For priests, just about any race that can be a priest is a viable choice really. Basically your important stats are Wisdom and intelligence. Intelligence determines concentration which translates to how many spells you can hold at one time.

Wisdom affects your mana, how much you have of it and how much you regen it.

Charisma is also important. I'd suggest maxing it simply because it affects you experience gain and shortens order lag, that is the amount of time you're unable to perform any actions after ordering a pet / guard.

Other than that, I personally believe mana would probably be more important to a Priest more so than art as they don't have many maledictions or such that players save versus. More mana = more heals, so that's a definite.

So to recap you'll want maximum intelligence, wisdom and charisma. Constitution is also important, but you can use items to raise it as can your strength and dex. Priests level VERY slowly at first, but level quicker later on. So stick with it. Find a mace or usable weapon, heavy armor and go for it and start clubbing.

That's about all I know. Anyone else feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:00 am 
Mortal

If you were recommended to a class by a friend, there's no surer way both to get more information and check the reliability of your source than by asking said friend for some sage advice. Why? Because I've ran into a few people who were told a class was fun by people who'd never so much as played one.

I'd advise against training charisma on a priest. The times you find yourself most ordering to a pet, you will probably be in a situation where your successful command will buy you some time anyway; the opportunity cost of that convenience is rather high.

You should probably play a drow first. You'll be able to experience the most intense natural plotlines the game has to offer alongside enjoying some of the best casting attributes in the game. As an evil priest, you'd have many customers.

I'll give you a piece of advice from my own experience playing a priest, though: you get very little experience points from healing, and even less roleplay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:32 am 
Mortal

Don't max charisma. That would be a bad choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:29 am 
Mortal

SK Character: RAWR!
Max CHA is a HORRID suggestion, Kin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:40 am 
Mortal

Really? I've always maxed cha on just about every character I've had. I assumed priests were no different. Why is maxing CHA so horrid on priests? Are they that point deprived?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:54 am 
Mortal

Everyone is point deprived. You have to think about the end-use value of a high score.

For a priest, 1 point of charisma is worth less than one point of wisdom, mana, or intelligence in roughly that order. I see little to no excuse to invest in charisma when any of those three are not at the level you want -- which is maxed out. Frankly, I'd even spend points of art before charisma, barring tribunal membership. But then, if you're in a tribunal you're probably not concerned with effectiveness or survivability in the first place, so whatever.

The only benefit from charisma is a one-round lag on pet ordering, and priests who have no excuse not to have a quaff recall option open don't usually need to worry about lag from orders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 am 
Mortal

SK Character: RAWR!
Art is pretty useless for a priest, too. Wis, Int, Mana.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:44 am 

Thanks for the help! :]

Post subject: Re: Priest Help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:46 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Amorette
Gimu wrote:
I am new to this game and I want to play a priest based on what my friend has told me about them. I am looking for suggestions on race and where I should put my ability points / when or what I should get training in. Just some general priest tips would help, I plan to walk the gray line but I am unsure of what God I want to follow. I know I want to get into player vs player combat.

I don't want to play a halfling or a gnome, I was thinking just playing a human for my race since they are pretty balanced so I've heard.

A human grey priest is a great place to start to get the feel of this game. But grey-auraed priests tend not to be tanks in PVP, so be aware of that - you'll probably just be an (important) asset in group combat. You won't be able to take on many classes 1 on 1. Always have a pet in the front!

Everyone who suggested WIS, INT, and MANA in that order is right. CHA can't hurt, but I certainly wouldn't max it - just makes leveling a bit easier at the front end. If you have leftover points, I also like ART and CON for priests.

Creating a priest without a defined immortal in mind can be a lot of fun, too. Exploring your character and finding out which religion you want to be a part of can really form your character's role play.

My character is Menkh, if you see her around on the WHO list. She can help you out with your spell and skill set.