Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mentor Question, is it a bug?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:34 pm 
Mortal

SK wrote:
A College of Combat Instructor tells you 'Froliar has enrolled in training.'
You tell Froliar ''Ello Froliar. The instructor has told me about you. What do you seek to learn?'
Froliar tells you 'How to tell Harlequins from their speech patterns. *wink* '

How legitimate is this 'tactic' as far as an alternative character's knowledge has in the game is concerned? Offering lessons in Uxmal = Harlequin, is that how it is in SK?

SK wrote:
A College of Combat Instructor tells you 'Siorlan has enrolled in training.'
You tell Siorlan ''Elloes Siorlan, the college instructor has told me about you. What do you seek to learn?'
Siorlan tells you 'I did not ask for help for I do not need it, but thank you.'

This has happened several times. Different players issuing for mentor's help, but upon response, they specifically say they did not ask for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:11 pm 
Enrolled in training means, that he has just rolled his char.

XXX REQUESTS a mentor means he asked for help from a mentor. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:11 pm 
Mortal Contributor

As soon as someone makes a character and they arrive in there realms they announce that they are seeking a mentor automatically. I'm assuming it's so you can make contact to offer aid. That aid doesn't need to be training in skills or spells. You can give armor, weapons, a light, anything.

I think it's supposed to be that way.

Post subject: Mentor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:43 pm 
Mortal

This is kind of embarrassing. I am a newbie alright, thank you guys. Next time I'll ask if they need anything instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:47 pm 
Mortal

Orac wrote:
As soon as someone makes a character and they arrive in there realms they announce that they are seeking a mentor automatically.

It does not announce that they are seeking a mentor, it announces that they have just arived from creation in case a mentor wishes to go over and find them. It is not them saying that they desire a mentor. That is why there is a mentor command for those < Journeyman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:13 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Salak
Quote:
How legitimate is this 'tactic' as far as an alternative character's knowledge has in the game is concerned? Offering lessons in Uxmal = Harlequin, is that how it is in SK?

People will always assume if you're Uxmaln, you're Harlequin because of how visible they are nowadays. Don't let it get under your skin, unless they kill you repeatedly over it or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:06 am 
Mortal

And some players will ask for help directly through a TELL. Many times I do not have what the person is seeking but I can direct them to someone who can help the particular player out. There are many aspects to mentoring. Watching an older, more experienced player handle such situations can give you insight into how to handle them yourself Iccly to match your own character's beliefs and style of conduct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:12 am 
Mortal

The enrolled in training messages can be good for knowing exactly how young a character is. You know they just rolled their character, for example, and you know where to find them. It also gives you an opportunity to see if they have "New to Pyrathia" in their title, or if they're a returning player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:51 am 
Implementor

The primary point of the message is that the mentor system is aimed at benefitting true newbies. Newbies do not know how to request a mentor, hence the system sends out a request for them. The message looks different so you can tell the difference between it and a manual request.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:18 am 
Mortal

Benzo Balrog wrote:
The enrolled in training messages can be good for knowing exactly how young a character is. You know they just rolled their character, for example, and you know where to find them. It also gives you an opportunity to see if they have "New to Pyrathia" in their title, or if they're a returning player.

When I get the just enrolled message I send a basic tell letting them know I will be willing to help them if they need it. However, I first do a who (character name) to see what their title is, if they have the "New to Pyrathia" one, I follow up my normal tell with an ooc one to ask if they need help with getting a grasp on the game. Only two times has this been declined harshly by the player, leading me to assume that they were not really new to SK. A few times I've gotten ooc responses from another character other than the newbie that is helping the newbie get a hold of things. Many times I've gotten tied up with the character for hours OOCly explaining the game mechanics and ICly teaching them the basics.