Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Religions
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:53 am 
Mortal

Out of curiosity, is there a certain point by which a religious-class character should be invested into a religion? Because I'm having an awful hard time getting in contact with any followers of the chosen religion for my priest (Algorab). While I have met Solidus, I've been told there's a high priest by the name of Baldazor (sp?) who I haven't managed to run into yet, but who I would assume is responsible for investing new members of the faith...so if I can't meet him (we have a time conflict or whatever), then how would I join the church?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:14 am 
Mortal

There is kind of an informal rule about investing people: you can't make them seek and put them on quests for years and years; once they know their stuff about the religion and the God, they are supposed to be invested. Discrepancies occur, and this shouldn't be interpreted to mean that once you read all the books you're automatically in. You obviously have to demonstrate some good roleplay to get in, too.

Unfortunately, religions historically have problems with their high followers being absent or AWOL. One of the things to consider when playing a character that is religion-based (priest/ paladin/hellion) is which religions have the largest contingent of players that are active. That really sucks, and it prevents religions that have kinda disappeared from ever reappearing, but especially with priests, who are useless without a God after about novice, there's not much that can be done.

Sometimes immortals will have a "divine intervention" and invest people, but that's only under extremely rare circumstances, and thus shouldn't be something upon which you rely. Personally, when I think about making a character that has to have a religion to be of any use, I consider which religions are the most active, then shape my character into a mold to fit that particular church. It's a bass-ackwards way of creating a character concept, but you'd be surprised how much fun you have when you join a religion you never really considered before. :wink:

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:19 am 
Mortal

wifding wrote:
There is kind of an informal rule about investing people: you can't make them seek and put them on quests for years and years; once they know their stuff about the religion and the God, they are supposed to be invested. Discrepancies occur, and this shouldn't be interpreted to mean that once you read all the books you're automatically in. You obviously have to demonstrate some good roleplay to get in, too.

Actually, this is a formal rule. Every character that seeks out a religion should be invested OR DECLINED within a week. That's why all religion boards have a "Seeker" thread. Not adhering to this policy could have dramatic effects for the entire faith.

If you've been seeking for a week, and have not gotten an investment or been told NO, email one of the IMMstaff (ATM I'd recommend Achernar or Alshain, they seem to be the most active right now). Include "SK" or "Shattered Kingdoms" in the subject and be sure to mention your character's name, race, and profession in the body. Email addresses for IMMs can be found by typing 'wizlist' in game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:21 am 
Mortal

You'll find you can't learn Initiate or higher level spells until you're invested into your religion.

There should be two characters capable of investing you, though sometimes there aren't enough. Since you've expressed your interest to a follower, these people should already be looking for you. If you give a follower an OOC tell with your forum ID, that might help them make contact. (Of course, your post has probably made this redundant. :) )

The immortal in charge of the religion can also invest you, but they're loathe to take things out of the hand of their favored followers. If you've not been able to find someone in two real-life weeks, though, it's time to send the immortal a message. Who's in charge of what religion is posted in the Announcements section of the forum. (Though Algorab is on leave at the moment, as is noted in the Pantheon forum.)

But even in the best of times, this process usually takes a few days. If you find it too hard to level beyond Initiate, now's a great time to practice your religious roleplay. It'll make your interview go all the easier, once you get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:28 am 
Mortal

Thanks for the prompt help. My character's name is Daemaru and he's a centaur priest if said followers decide to look for him, or if anyone else feels like interacting with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:15 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Sorel
Once you contact a member of the faith they should immediately (as in, same day) post your name in the seekers thread and the HFs should be out looking for you. Like everyone else has been saying- if you've been playing pretty reguarly for a week and haven't seen the HFs online or been told no, PM/email the patron IMM of the religion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:45 am 
Mortal

Also just keep in mind that although there's that week time frame, if your RP sucks and what you tell the members either doesn't make sense or is not compatible with what they believe, don't expected to be invested. That kinda goes without saying, but I just wanted to make sure that was clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:46 pm 
Webadmin

SK Character: Viltrax
HF notified.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:57 pm 
Mortal

Religions shouldn't be hard to get in at all. Most seekers I get are rinvested the moment they have the basic grasp of nature and the cycle and stuff.. It could be in as little as one meeting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:39 am 
Mortal

Alshain wrote:
HF notified.

Thanks.

wifding wrote:
Also just keep in mind that although there's that week time frame, if your RP sucks and what you tell the members either doesn't make sense or is not compatible with what they believe, don't expected to be invested. That kinda goes without saying, but I just wanted to make sure that was clear.

Well, the feedback I got ICly from Solidus was fairly favorable, so hopefully she wasn't RPing she liked it just to get rid of me or something...

Adder wrote:
Once you contact a member of the faith they should immediately (as in, same day) post your name in the seekers thread and the HFs should be out looking for you. Like everyone else has been saying- if you've been playing pretty reguarly for a week and haven't seen the HFs online or been told no, PM/email the patron IMM of the religion.

How do I know who the HF actually is? If it's that Baldazor guy, I've never seen him around when I'm on and I'm on for about 7 hours monday through saturday. That's a decent amount of time from my point of view...

If he's been reading these forums, he's more than welcome to send me a PM with a time to meet him.

Oh and for the record, I spoke with Solidus June 29th.