Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Question regarding gaining exp.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:45 pm 

When I refered to the help file for experience it mentioned nothing about killing the monster. Does this mean the level of the monster has no effect on how much exp I recieve? So if I attack a monster which is much weaker than I will I recieve the same ammount of Exp as a monster higher than my level? Also, to clarify I only recieve exp from monsters from the attack that hit yes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:49 pm 
Mortal

There was a thread somewhere about a person trying to play a character w/o ever killing them. Where it is I don't remember.

That would answer about 70% of the questions you can possibly have in regards to leveling and experience.

*goes back to look for that thread*

Edit: Right infront of my face. Here you go... this should answer most of your questions.
http://www.shatteredkingdoms.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10345&start=0

sleeper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:45 pm 
Implementor

Relative level does matter in regards to how much XP you will earn. Using the consider command is a good guide. If you could kill them naked, you will probably not be earning any noticeable XP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:28 pm 
Mortal

As a general guide, you shouldn't even go after NPCs that are perfect matches. The idea is to find NPCs who are higher in level (such as "much more powerful"), but don't match up well against your character. Your mentor - or other friendly folk in your nation - may be able to offer specific guidance here.

Combat experience gained is proportional to the damage your character does, though you get a bonus if the damage was done by a mana-consuming spell. There's also a hefty bonus if you're grouped with another player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:10 pm 
Mortal

You'll get less xp per kill when grouped with another player, but more xp overall because you can kill more creatures more quickly with the other player's assistance.

Example:

Goblin A has 50 xp's to give if killed.

You kill it alone, you get 50 xp's.
Kill it with a friend, you both get ~25 xp's, PLUS a bonus of 10 xp, winding up with 35 xp each overall (see below for other circumstances). Also notice how that's less than 50 xp overall.

In addition, the amount of xp you get is also dependent on the amount of damage you're doing. A mage in the front row (wtf) with one dagger attack per round (if not concentrating) is not going to be doing as much damage as a giant barbarian with 3-4 spear attacks per round.

So, that mage is prolly getting like 25 xp's while the giant is getting like ~45. Of course, that's only for pure melee damage. If the mage was casting spells he/she could up their damage and amount of xp gained.

The level of the two characters also appears to affect the bonus that you get, so a GM and noob don't level technically as fast as a noob and noob. The GM and noob combo can greatly overcome this by having the GM is tank really high-xp NPCs and/or healing/singing, etc. This is also known as power-levelling, and is heavily frowned upon.

*The numbers I gave are completely bogus. You want to talk about real xp numbers go research some mud development sites with the muds that SK is based on in mind.

**This is also my interpretation of how it works, and it probably works entirely differently. One thing's for sure, however, and that is if higher levels are grouped with lower levels the higher levels get really crappy xp. This is most likely because you need higher xp at the higher levels, and the xp of the NPC the group is fighting is based off the level of the lowest-level person in your group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:12 pm 
Mortal

Quote:
The level of the two characters also appears to affect the bonus that you get, so a GM and noob don't level technically as fast as a noob and noob. The GM and noob combo can greatly overcome this by having the GM is tank really high-xp NPCs and/or healing/singing, etc. This is also known as power-levelling, and is heavily frowned upon.

SK has no policy against "power-levelling", nor is it even frowned upon by the general community. High-level characters often take a special interest in a low-level one, and work to speed his development. Though I'd suggest waiting for this to be offered, rather than asking for it as a right. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:38 pm 
Mortal

laugh

Okay, Forsooth, whatever you say.

Noob.

People who plevel other characters for the sake of rp and other stuff are few and far between. 99% of the time it's twinkery, and frowned upon. You'll find that even if you aren't busted for doing it per se, it'll come back around and bite you in the [REDACTED] later on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:28 pm 
Mortal

Code:
Grouping in Shattered Kingdoms awards extra experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:16 am 
Mortal

Naarn wrote:
laugh

Okay, Forsooth, whatever you say.

Noob.

People who plevel other characters for the sake of rp and other stuff are few and far between. 99% of the time it's twinkery, and frowned upon. You'll find that even if you aren't busted for doing it per se, it'll come back around and bite you in the [REDACTED] later on.

I spend alot of time on all my chars looking for people who need a hand training, and RPing with them as they do. I made GM with my first char doing nothing but that, helping people in the outpost and morea. Is there a faster way to GM sure, but while your off training in the temple of murder how many people do you run into? To me it was always nice to get out there and help people and make friends doing it. People who powerlevel their OOC friends I have no respect for but there is nothing in the rules that says a high level char cant go mucking around helping out the little people.

The Mentor system is even an extension of this (even if Ive not used the teach command for anyone outher then a language or two and the several dozen songs both before and after the new mentor system went in)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:19 am 
Mortal

Ilyana wrote:
Code:
Grouping in Shattered Kingdoms awards extra experience.

1. In a formation (grouped) one can go after stronger opponents. Typically in fighting stronger opponents an adventuring party has the opporunity to learn more. (The NPCs themselves may be higher level= more exp)
2. The more the merrier, and the better one's people skills, the better their participation, so to speak. (Grouped charisma bonus also comes into play. 2 people >1 alone, 3+ people>2 grouped.)
3. Grouped/being in formation typically not only boosts your abilities to damage an opponent, but allows for better defense, skill/spell combos with different characters. Generally speaking, a group can continue to fight and gain experience for longer periods of time without resting.
4. Especially when starting the game, it is a far more rewarding (fun) experience when you can get a group together and actively engage in both the tactics and role play that this land has to offer.

Other tips from previous posts that I find extremely helpful also:
* http://www.shatteredkingdoms.org/forums/viewtopic.phpt=10345&start=0 posted by Sleeper
*Relative level counts, check this with the consider command. (Dulrik)
* "Your mentor - or other friendly folk in your nation - may be able to offer specific guidance here. " - Forsooth.
* Naarn explaining what plevelling is and that it is frowned upon. (Even if their may be RP reasons, there are many ways to help a character, even in a group, without handing them experience on a silver platter.) While (as Foorsooth writes) there is no specific written rule, also bear in mind as a newbie (especially new to the game) having a high level character just lead you around gaining experience doesn't really develop your own (OOC) understanding of the game, oryour character's tactics.
* YorikP.Pazu summarizes things nicely.

Riley