Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Creating a non-violent character - is it possible?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:23 am 
Mortal

I'm doodling with concepts for future characters and wondered if it's possible to make a priest of Aludra that preaches non-violence - as in, doesn't kill at all.

I know it's possible to set kill mode to stun, and as far as I've been able to tell most experience comes from the fight rather then the actual kill (is this correctly understood?)

What I wondered is - are there ways of making money as a kiddie that doesn't involve killing?

Post subject: Re: Creating a non-violent character - is it possible?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:28 am 
Mortal

Leri wrote:

What I wondered is - are there ways of making money as a kiddie that doesn't involve killing?

Charge money for your spells, for example, continual light could be a good one to charge for since many people need it at some point or another, not to mention it is a low level spell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:30 am 
Mortal

Greeting people and interacting with them, especially as a lower level character can be both rewarding to your character's development.. as well as his/her pocketbooks. You can also make some money by finding items and selling them (either to other players, or shops) as well, while getting started. As far as a potential RP concept/thought, don't be doing things for free for people. Even nice people need money to buy clothes and food afterall.. ie offer to help or whatnot, but don't feel ashamed to admit you'd like to be paid for services. Going back to the 'greeting people/intreracting' thing, asking IC from mentors for ideas/suggestions IC is highly appropriate. (As is talking to a friendly priest.)

Riley

Last edited by Riley on Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:32 am 
Mortal

You can also take the money from stunned characters/NPCs.

Perhaps its not what you're looking for, but you can try to find NPCs that your character doesn't consider bad to kill...demons, for example, or plants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:38 am 
Mortal

Ahh... didn't know it was possible to take money from just stunned NPCs - thanks! She wouldn't need much, just enough to eat really. I wondered because I have no idea if priests can create food, and with the exception of encounters with a few very generous individuals, all my ccurrent character's money comes from hunting.

Thanks lots for the input, food for thought and plotting *grin*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:45 am 
Mortal

Mm.. an embarrassing question: how to you take money from a stunned creature? :P I tried stunning a furbolg, but it kept saying 'are you sure it has that'...

EDIT: Posted too soon, found out... Oops. :roll:

Last edited by Leri on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:46 am 
Mortal

Priests do get create food around journeyman, you just need to be invested into a faith to actually use it. Aludra seems a very fitting faith for what you want to do since the majority of the faith is anti-violence. While some people do fight last I knew Aludra's faith discourages violence, cruel words, etc. There are other faiths you could join and preach against violence, though if you want a lightie faith I'd say stick to Aludra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:55 am 
Mortal

Ooh.. Never actually considered it a possibility of making a non-violent (or at least, death-opposed) character of darkness. That would be interesting, though I'm not sure I've run across a faith that would fit... Or maybe it could. Since stunning would imply eternal, never-ending suffering rather than a quick, merciful ending.. Sadr maybe? Hmm...

Thanks lots for the ideas! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:16 am 
Mortal

You don't even have to do darkness. You could do a neutral aligned faith like Fate or Magic. Neither one of those faiths requires killing so you could preach against it (I think), it'd just be something to consider before starting to seek. You could also travel through cities looking for stuff in the libraries about the old and new ways of various faiths to give you some more ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:54 am 
Mortal

I play a peacefull priestess on SK currently, and although I did train at first, I became more and more passive as time went on.

Casting spells is a great way to do that. Refresh and continual light are great things at amature level. Get a pet and stand behind it, making sure it has armor and/or bless.

Also, consider going along with others as simply a healer. Do all the quests you can find. Remember there will be times you will be attacked and must defend yourself, even if it is just long enough to get away.

It will take MUCH longer to level this way. In addition, without being involved in PK groups, you won't get as many enlights. But overall, I've enjoyed this character very much.

Good luck!