Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Got a Question?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:18 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
You still may have a point on the ranged idea, since hardly anyone has specced in a reaching weapon that wasn't massive since the change: But I guess I just haven't seen a lot of comparisons between the massive reachers and non-massive reachers on defensive opponents. One very notable element about all massive reaching weapons is that they come in two speeds: Slow and slower. As well, all reaching weapons except bandalore and battle spear are low accuracy so I wonder just how often you might get dodged by a defensive high-dex opponent with them. I'm also curious as to how heavily stone skin would affect massive reachers versus other reachers.

Also, that log was from before the nerf to mood defensive. No telling how that would all look now.

Here's my main point: If we "nerf" massive weapons by lowering their maximum damage output, then they become, at best, equal to using a non-massive weapon, and at worst they are worse off.

This is my current idea of how things work as for weapon choices.

Is your target defensive? Then you will deal more damage using a massive weapon, because you'll bypass the shield blocks and parries that you'd otherwise get caught by.
Is your target neutral? Then you will probably deal about the same damage using a massive versus a non-massive weapon.
Is your target aggressive? You will do more damage using a non-massive weapon, because those weapons have an overall higher maximum damage output.

Obviously there are more factors which come into play, such as what buffs are present and whether your target is using a shield, but I feel like those are relatively accurate statements. If anyone has played a melee character on both sides of the massive/non massive fence and feels differently I'd like to hear their opinions. I feel like, as things currently stand, that if you decrease the maximum damage output of massives anymore than they already are, they'll become pretty obselete. I wouldn't have a problem with maybe decreasing the massive "bonus" to half for reaching massives though.

And dang it Jhorleb, no derailing the thread!

Last edited by Edoras on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:18 am 
Mortal

Edoras wrote:
Your daggum elf doesn't ever tank at all.

You're just jealous that my elf is hawt, and has a nice butt, and you played a pudgy midget that nerd raged over moral values.

This is an approximate picture of Pilnor:

Last edited by ninja_ardith on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:20 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
I have a hard time imaging Newt Gingrich murdering a bunch of undead with a glowing hammer.

But I smell a blockbuster film on the way anyway!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:22 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Cyndane - Talys
rofl

EDIT : Whoops.

Anyways, I think a more intensive PE loss would be better than changing the actual massive bonus.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:30 am 
Mortal

WickedWitch wrote:
rofl

EDIT : Whoops.

Anyways, I think a more intensive PE loss would be better than changing the actual massive bonus.

Uh, I can guarantee you that the PE loss from using a massive/reach weapon is WAY above what using a one-handed weapon is.

You may be confused because if you only get one attack a round you don't lose PE. It's only iterative attacks (second/third/fourth) that drain moves.

With max con, and max move trains, the bill spec absolutely demolishes Tolene's movement pool.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:31 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Cyndane - Talys
If she didn't have such a fat [REDACTED] it probably wouldn't take so much effort to swing it.

Also, I've never seen anyone die because they ran out of PE due to their massive weapon. Clearly it is not severe enough!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:32 am 
Mortal

So wish I would have specialized glaive now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:44 am 
Mortal

jhorleb wrote:
That log shows spirit aura breaking mirror images. It doesn't come up often, so maybe doesn't really matter, but I don't think it should do that.

You're probably right. The spirits shouldn't get confused by your illusions! They don't with voodoo, anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:46 am 
Mortal

Edoras wrote:
You still may have a point on the ranged idea, since hardly anyone has specced in a reaching weapon that wasn't massive since the change: But I guess I just haven't seen a lot of comparisons between the massive reachers and non-massive reachers on defensive opponents. One very notable element about all massive reaching weapons is that they come in two speeds: Slow and slower. As well, all reaching weapons except bandalore and battle spear are low accuracy so I wonder just how often you might get dodged by a defensive high-dex opponent with them. I'm also curious as to how heavily stone skin would affect massive reachers versus other reachers.

Also, that log was from before the nerf to mood defensive. No telling how that would all look now.

Here's my main point: If we "nerf" massive weapons by lowering their maximum damage output, then they become, at best, equal to using a non-massive weapon, and at worst they are worse off.

This is my current idea of how things work as for weapon choices.

Is your target defensive? Then you will deal more damage using a massive weapon, because you'll bypass the shield blocks and parries that you'd otherwise get caught by.
Is your target neutral? Then you will probably deal about the same damage using a massive versus a non-massive weapon.
Is your target aggressive? You will do more damage using a non-massive weapon, because those weapons have an overall higher maximum damage output.

Obviously there are more factors which come into play, such as what buffs are present and whether your target is using a shield, but I feel like those are relatively accurate statements. If anyone has played a melee character on both sides of the massive/non massive fence and feels differently I'd like to hear their opinions. I feel like, as things currently stand, that if you decrease the maximum damage output of massives anymore than they already are, they'll become pretty obselete. I wouldn't have a problem with maybe decreasing the massive "bonus" to half for reaching massives though.

Characters shield block/parry massive weapons a bit more than they did before I suggested a few tweaks. I think they're fine as is now. Every weapon is situational, in any case.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:07 am 
Mortal

Edoras wrote:

... you mean the thread entitled, "Got a Question?" 8)

Here, how about this. That log shows spirit aura breaking mirror images. It doesn't come up often, so maybe doesn't really matter, but do you think it should do that?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next