Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:24 pm 
Mortal

Forsooth wrote:
Frankly, the best idea seems to be to allow mentors to assist those in another nation, if they sign up to do so for that particular nation. My experience is that there are severely underserved nations when it comes to mentoring. At the same time, my last griffon character couldn't help someone in Krychire even if I had the OOC knowledge to do so.

If not this, perhaps allowing those that are of allied nations with the tribunal of the city to receive mentor notices. This would be a nice added benifit of the diplomacy system, in my opinion. I'm not sure how I'd feel about someone that is just in a state of truce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:49 pm 
Mortal

It depends on the person, in that case.

It would be nice if the mentor was required to send a tell to the student. As it is now, a tell is sent as a curtesy by some, but not by all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:28 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Sorel
I REALLY wish the mentor command would tell you whether they're the same class as you upon creation and also when they actively use the mentor command.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:47 pm 
Mortal Contributor

SK Character: Elriorith/Enfaustina/Nimolthar
A proving grounds instructor tells you 'Kaliopi has enrolled in training'

When this happens, i most of the times, if not utterly busy send a tell that looks like this:

tell Kaliopi 'Hello there. I am Soultana. If I can help you in any way, via training, or if you need something, let me know. I would be glad to assist.'

90% of the times i did this i received:

Kaliopi tells you 'Some coin would be needed..'

Now, if i go around and give to each newbie about 1-2 obsidians, and considering that about 3-4 newbies are created every day on my playing hours it would be 6 to 8 obsidians. I dont make that kind of money daily, and i would be broke in notime.

Why is it that they never ask for training, and it's always money money money? I understand money is an importand issue on new chars, but the Mentor command, SURELY was made for another reason, than dispensing money to the newbies...

I won't hide that i am often so discouraged by the money asking, that i sometimes stop sending these kind of tells.

And to be ahead of some, i have often asked:

Tell kaliopi 'If you need any training please let me know, i would be glad to help you train your skills or spells.

Kaliopi tells you 'Some money would be welcome'.

:roll:

Post subject: money...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:48 am 
Mortal

Ideas for helping newbies without giving away the bank, cos someone asked:

1) They might not understand you can train their skills/spells free effectively free of charge. Have them can meet with you, and tell 'em you'll take the time to help them learn some survival skills.

2) Check the bins/storage places people dump stuff around town. A lot of decent things for lower level/newer characters are oft left behind. Again, no money required.

3) There are areas around that provide geer to lower level characters that you don't have to go spending money on. You can either make a run and collect it yourself to deliver or...

4) Have the newbie join you on a small adventure. Feel free to show off a bit, but at the same time make sure its no place too dangerous for them. Maybe they'd even gain a bit of experience as you got them something functional.

Those people you go out of their way for in such a fashion will more quickly adapt to the game, and be able to earn their own money quicker. Meantime, your money doesn't flow continuosly out of your pocket. And it can take less time than it would take you to re-earn the money yourself, if you're not adept in the tactics for doing so.

Carita

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:14 am 
Mortal

When I was a Newbie desperate for money, I didn't know any of these things. However, I didn't beg for money. I mentioned how expensive training and new equipment was. Sometimes I was given free training (a totally novel concept at the time). Sometimes I was given money to buy what I needed in the shops. For the longest time, I didn't even know you could pay for healing (detached limbs in my case). A Newbie healer fixed me up the first time for free. Free service for me, good training for her. Bottom line is, when a Newbie asks for money, they probably know of no other method to get what they need, and they probably don't actually 'need' a full obsidian. Just ask them what they need the money for, then figure out the cheapest way to get it for them. Throwing in a little RP along the way will make it fun for both of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:28 am 
Mortal Contributor

SK Character: Elriorith/Enfaustina/Nimolthar
I know all of the above, i was refering to newbies with full tanso and/or adamantite gear, humming weapons and twink items.....

But this is not the case here :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:38 am 
Mortal

I paid for a full nice set of armor that was at the correct level for myself, was asked to turn it over and have it replaced by tanso steel that needed to be resized and was, at the mentor's expense (which I didn't ask for), and then thieves ended up stealing it all piece by piece, and I had to then replace it all at my own expense. High priced gifts from mentors are not always a boon, especially to true Newbies who have no idea what's going on when their armor starts disappearing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:37 am 
Mortal

teh1337n00b wrote:
I know all of the above, i was refering to newbies with full tanso and/or adamantite gear, humming weapons and twink items.....

But this is not the case here :)

Keep in mind, not every humming weapon is a high level one. Just last night I had a lowbie weapon on me and enchanted it for a newbie until it was both glowing and humming. Plus I made sure to keep the quality low enough for it (hopefully) not to be taken from him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:02 am 
Mortal

Actually, there's an easy way to tell if a newly created character needs lots of help: the New to Pyrathia title. These are the only people who claimed to be unfamiliar with SK in character creations; they're the people you normally need to spend plenty of time with.

I can't see why I'd donate a significant amount of money to a veteran low-level character, unless it fit my RP. Even true newbies, I only give 2 or 3 platimum to buy a good weapon with - and that's in part because I want to shepherd them through weapon selection and buying items.

Do keep in mind that getting those gold coins from school NPCs seems meaningless once you have a few obsidian in the bank. A minor gift to speed a newbie's levelling is helpful. Large gifts are counterproductive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next