Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:44 am 
Mortal

Oh so I guess it means that objects above my level will disappear when I leave, and I was not actually robbed (the message said there were thieves so I wanted to learn how to avoid them). Good to know. That object had been given to me right before I left, so I didn't even get to use it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:02 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
The closer you are to the level of the item the less likely it is to be taken. So at, say, level 20, if you get a level 25 item it's not very likely to be taken by logout thieves. On the other hand, if you are level 20 and get a level 50 item, it's pretty likely to get taken.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:05 am 
Mortal

Thank you very much, Activist. :) I don't even know what level weapons are, but will learn.

Meanwhile, people, don't give me big weapons. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:09 am 
Mortal

Most people will tell you that something is likely to attract the attention of thieves if they're giving you something, and caution you not to throw away your previous weapon/item in case that happens.

Material is also a good indicator. If it's a simple material like iron or steel, then it's probably not really high-end stuff. On the other hand, if it's mithril, or adamantite, or energy, then you can be pretty well assured that it's a high-level item.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:33 am 
Mortal Contributor

SK Character: Elriorith/Enfaustina/Nimolthar
It also depends on the enchantments the item has.
Even a low material weapon like ObjectivistActivist noted, with many enchants will be most likely to get stolen as enchants also raise the "level" of the item.

An identify spell also helps greatly in knowing the item's properties and approximate level. Alot of caster classes can identify for you if you don't have the spell.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:55 am 
Mortal

teh1337n00b wrote:
It also depends on the enchantments the item has.
Even a low material weapon like ObjectivistActivist noted, with many enchants will be most likely to get stolen as enchants also raise the "level" of the item.

This is true to an extent, but most low material items won't take enough enchants for the risk to be increased significantly. Particularly since the first 10 levels of enchantment don't affect an item's risk of logout thieves at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:29 pm 
Mortal

Be cautious about certain mechanical advice and information, particularly when it comes to enchanting. Many patterns can be falsely attributed to the wrong variables, because we do not really see behind the veil and into the gears of it all. For example, there's something of a consensus among players that the material of an item affects its enchantability. This could simply be a factor that's correlated to something that really matters, such as some invisible variable relating to an item's scarcity, sources, or enchantability. While many are confident, it would take knowing the source code to be certain ... and I only know two or three humans who actually have enjoyed that privilege. Don't make the mistake I commonly do by over-applying similar systems and rules from other roleplaying games, and don't make the mistake of allowing someone to sell you a bill of goods and misinformation, either.

As for attribute points, it's generally accepted that we slide points around during character creation and can increase them throughout the lives of our characters through attribute points and other sources. The actual numbers can be determined from information available in-game, but that isn't exactly the style of gameplay promoted by the system. You may do better to find a way to couch certain questions about stat points, attribute points, and training through in-character means. It's a decent enough way to find something to start roleplaying about and get to meet people and their stories.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:33 am 
Mortal

Thank you, grep. :) Yes, I am making questions in the game.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:30 am 
Mortal

Where can I learn about the things taking place in the game? Like the Day of the Dead, who is warring whom, who assaulted our city recently, who defended, etc. I've read there are boards, but the only ones I've found are the "news" and were announcements for updates in mechanical changes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:56 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
Every starting-city inn (well, the main one, with the regen scripts) has an "international" notice board, and "national" notice boards are located in various places, depending on the kingdom (some are in the inn, some in the town square, etc). The international boards look like this: A crystalline device, emitting a dull hum, rests within ethereal light. They are where you can post a note and effectively broadcast it to every inn in the world of SK. The newer notices are at the bottom; however, this is not an automated system. Characters make posts as they see fit, so there are likely to be holes in intel based solely upon the boards.

There have been several efforts over the years to do sort of a character-run "newspaper" thing, but none of them have been successful for any length of time. I'm not blaming that on any person or any one aspect of the game; it's just hard to keep up with EVERYTHING that happens and to commit to publishing something regularly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next