Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What is a siteban?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:59 pm 
Mortal

I know it's one of the most sever actions to be taken against someone disruptive to the mud/forums, but what exactly is it?

An IP ban?
A ban of a block of IPs?
A ban of an entire ISP?

Just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:08 pm 
Mortal

More than likely just an IP ban, but they'll just use a proxy and do a hop.

Then they aren't really banned. :roll:

Post subject: Re: What is a siteban?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:12 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Salak
Paladin656 wrote:
An IP ban?
A ban of a block of IPs?
A ban of an entire ISP?

Any of the above. It's a situational thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:13 pm 
Implementor

If the player is banned and they continue to access the server through alternate sites, we will continue to delete every additional character of which we are aware. You might last awhile, but somebody will eventually figure out who you are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:29 pm 
Mortal

Who I am? :o

Guilty by curiosity? lol I was just wondering how it worked on people who had dynamic IP's by the nature of thier connection vs those with static addresses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:43 pm 
Mortal

Even if you have DHCP set up and reconnect with a new IP, the Imms are not morons...

If you are the only person hitting up from a 9.43.7.X address, even if it's .28 one day and .133 the next, there are only so many people from that C class, and maybe even fewer if your ISP is using CIDR for your network segment.

The only problems they would have if someone used a forwarding program that pushed packets from a different IP, but then it's only a matter of time.

If I made an alt people could tell my *style* rather quickly, no matter how hard I tried to hide it. And in time they would know who it was and delete them and ban a new IP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:27 am 
Mortal

Fepel Veiled wrote:
Even if you have DHCP set up and reconnect with a new IP, the Imms are not morons...

If you are the only person hitting up from a 9.43.7.X address, even if it's .28 one day and .133 the next, there are only so many people from that C class, and maybe even fewer if your ISP is using CIDR for your network segment.

The only problems they would have if someone used a forwarding program that pushed packets from a different IP, but then it's only a matter of time.

If I made an alt people could tell my *style* rather quickly, no matter how hard I tried to hide it. And in time they would know who it was and delete them and ban a new IP.

Good points, but I think he was refering to an ISP like AOL that assigns your computer a new IP address depending on which local server you connect to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:41 pm 
Mortal

Not many AOL'ers figure out text-based gaming, honestly, and people with sitebans generally do one of the following to alert the IMMstaff:

1. Appear under a new identity, yet still seem to know everything about the game.
2. Can't keep their traps shut to their OOC friends (IMMs always find out).
3. Assume that the IMMstaff is completely stupid, and doesn't know anything about networks.
4. Appear under a new identity, yet somehow achieve GM, PAR, religion leader, and cabal leader in a week.

Usually, those who get sitebanned are sociopaths or just plain stupid, so it is in their very nature to get caught again... and again... and again. Note: if nothing has changed, and you knowingly help someone (to avoid/who has) a siteban, you can probably get in trouble too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:11 am 
Mortal

You WILL get in trouble. There's been quite a few situations (okay, not that much in the overall scope of things) where even if you aren't punished OOCly, you're going to get it ICly. :/

Personal habits and movements are a dead giveaway as well. It's really easy to recognize other players by how they talk, emote, or even input commands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:16 am 
Mortal

Aliases and pet names often are dead give aways....

Since people don't see them at times, most people get sloppy and revert back to old habits.