Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:15 am 
Mortal

I agree with you completely. The true Newbie needs knowledge above all else. A gentle push in the right direction once they've graduated from school so that they can continue their training elsewhere without getting killed immediately, directions to the local Inn, where to go for repairs, where the local library is, where to go for healing, etc. are much more beneficial in the long run than fancy gear they won't be allowed to keep anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:07 am 
Mortal

You people hand out cash? Damn! I've been talking to the wrong mentors...
All I tend to get out of mentoring is some RP and free skill/spell training when all I tend to ask for is where to FIND the skills and spells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:47 pm 
Mortal

In the long run, knowledge is more powerful than money. The only people I've given money to myself have been Newbies robbed by thieves or people that had helped/were helping me out that obviously needed a quick cash infusion. On the flip side, I've been keeping the Nerina bin filled with all sorts of Newbie and Lowbie equipment lately for anyone who needs it. Cash is easy to obtain. Knowledge is not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:34 am 
Mortal

Question on the Mentor command and where they are requesting it from. Does color of the message designate the area the request came from?

Also, I never charge for mentoring, as I feel it's an obligation of my character's alignment to aid society's youth. This being said, this is acceptable right? I only ask because I don't wish to be abusing the system by not charging at all. When the system first came out I charged minimal amounts, but just didn't feel right doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:14 pm 
Mortal

You don't have to charge anything if you don't want too. It's a character specific thing. I've done it both ways. the annoying little brat gets charged where the one flattering my abilities generally doesn't type thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:36 pm 
Mortal

Kewl, I just wanted to make sure it was okay, I know the young characters appreciate not having to pay the coin and can use it for equipment and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:55 pm 
Mortal Contributor

SK Character: Elriorith/Enfaustina/Nimolthar
I have been training people for free, and instructing them on where to find trainers, possibly aiding them with summoning level training NPCs in newbie training areas, and or gates.

I also believe that the mentor seeking command comes only from your own kingdom. Therefore if i am tasslamaran, i can only see mentor needed from taslamar.

Correct me if i am wrong please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:07 pm 
Mortal

Isn't there also a message when someone first comes into the training area as well? I was wondering if some of these were color coded for the area? I think I've seen white and gold tells? I could have just been tired too. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:07 pm 
Mortal Philanthropist

When the mentor command first came out I only charged for one skill and I do not do that anymore. It wasn't in my char either. I have also handed out money to noobs if I had it on me. I have also given it to them if they are like a small amount of money short of getting it.

Yeah, I think there should be a command that tells the noob the possible Mentors possible. That would be easier and quicker than just typing mentor and sit and wait and sit and wait until someone actually noticed you.